The next step in my second life body evolution was to figure out mesh heads. I’ve been seeing them everywhere. Every time I saw an avatar who struck me as exceptionally beautiful it turned out she was sporting a mesh head.
To those landing on this page who are not aware of what a mesh head is : In short, you are able to make the standard Second Life head invisible and place a user created mesh head in its place. Why? They allow a much more natural shape, and lighting creates more natural shadowing in the features.
I like to be a little bit exhaustive in my research – especially for items that are going to cost me a few thousand Lindens. So I set out to get my hands on just about every mesh head demo out there. It helped me to take a photo so that I could compare side by side, and I thought it might help you all as well.
Now for the terms and conditions.
- These demo heads are right out of the box. Meaning I popped them on and took a photo. I did not spend time messing with their options to see their full capability. I know there are downsides to this as these appearances can drastically change. I just wanted first impressions.
- For all of the heads that did not come with a shape, I used my own shape and did not edit it.
- I used mesh eyes in a lot of these demos, and you will see that not all of them are perfectly placed.
- I didn’t take time to match skin tones to my body.
- My mesh body glitched mid shoot and you’ll see i went from mesh to non mesh.
- These are not all of the mesh heads that exist, but a lot of them.
- All of these are separate options for purchase – except for EVE. The three skins shown are all included in the one mesh head for EVE.
This is regular me, no mesh head.
Row One: CATWA Annie, CATWA Jessica, EVE (Skin one), EVE (Skin two)
Row Two: EVE (Skin three), FIORE (angled, Toni), FIORE (angelic, Toni), FIORE (contoured, Toni)
Row Three: FIORE (precious, Toni), FIORE (soft, Toni), FIORE (angled, Aylah), FIORE (angelic, Aylah)
Row Four: FIORE (contoured, Aylah), FIORE (precious, Aylah), FIORE (soft, Aylah), GA.EG Kirsten
Row Five: GENESIS Amber, GENESIS Annie, GENESIS Marie, GENESIS Nicole
Row Six: GENESIS Olivia, GENESIS Suzy, LELUTKA Aria, LELUTKA Ever
Row Seven: LELUTKA Karin, LELUTKA Leda, LELUTKA Lotte, LELUTKA Simone
Row Eight: LELUTKA Stella, LOGO Alex, LOGO Chloe, LOGO Sadie
Row Nine: PUMEC Elise, PUMEC Lucy, PUMEC Melina, PUMEC Sydney
Row Ten: SLINK Becky, SLINK Emma, SNOW RABBIT Nea, TSG Dakota,
Row Eleven: TSG Mimi, TSG Mizu, VCO Anna, VCO Bambi
Row Twelve: VCO Rania, VCO Risa, VCO Tia, VCO Yomi
So, I went with EVE for a few reasons. It was one of my favorite shapes, and right now it is also in its Beta phase. So it is only $850 Ls and I’m actually quite interested to see the evolution of it. For my first mesh head I thought this was a solid choice!
I hope this helps visual people like myself narrow down the pool! Enjoy!